Another Thiopurine-Allopurinol Tragedy
John R. Horn, PharmD, FCCP and Philip D. Hansten, PharmD
1. Tomlinson, Kathy, CBC News, October 6, 2014.
2. Amin J, Huang B, Yoon J et al. Update 2014: Advances to optimize 6-meercaptopurine and azathioprine to reduce toxicity and improve efficacy in the management of IBD. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2014;Sept 21 Epub.
3. Elion GB, Callahan S, Nathan H, et al. Potentiation by inhibition of drug degradation: 6-substituted purines and xanthine oxidase. Biochem Pharmacol. 1963;12:85-93.
4. DeConti RC, Calabresi P. Use of Allopurinol for prevention and control of hyperuricemia in patients with neoplastic disease. New Engl J Med. 1966;274:481-486.
5. Clinicopathologic Conference. Hypertension and the lupus syndrome. Am J Med. 1970;49:519-528.
6. Nies AS, Oates JA. Clinicopathologic conference: hypertension and the lupus syndrome—revisited. Am J Med. 1971;51:812-814.
7. Gearry RB, Day AS, Barclay ML, et al. Azathioprine and allopurinol: a two-edged interaction. J Castroenterol Hepatol. 2010;25:649-656.