Drug Interactions with Simvastatin: The Risk Continues
John R. Horn, PharmD, FCCP and Philip D. Hansten, PharmD
1. FDA drug safety communication: New restrictions, contraindications, and dose limitations for zocor (simvastatin) to reduce the risk of muscle injury. Safety Announcement, 06-08-2011, www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm256581.htm.
2. Horn JR and Hansten PD. Be on the alert for increasing drug interactions with statins. Pharmacy Times. 2006;72(June):20.
3. Study of the effectiveness of additional reductions in cholesterol and homocysteine (SEARCH) collaborative Group. Intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol with 80 mg versus 20 mg simvastatin daily in 12064 survivors of myocardial infarction: a double-blind randomized trial. Lancet. 2010;376:1658-69.
4. The SEARCH collaborative group. SLCO1B1 variants and statin-induced myopathy – a genomewide study. New Engl J Med.2008;359:789-99.
5. Niemi M et al. Organic anion transporting polypeptide 1b1: a genetically polymorphic transporter of major importance for hepatic drug uptake. Pharmacol Rev. 2011;63:157-81.